Tonight, the final episode of “The Late Show with David Letterman” will air on CBS. While I’ll admit that I haven’t watched Dave much in recent years, I would be remiss if I didn’t take a moment to acknowledge his excellence over the years – nay, DECADES.
Back in my junior high and high school days, if I arrived at school the next morning looking tired, more often than not it was because I was up watching Letterman. Between his interactions with great guests (Bill Murray, Tom Hanks, Madonna, Howard Stern, Jack Hanna, etc), his regular interactions with Rupert Jee from the Hello Deli, and Stupid Human Tricks/Stupid Pet Tricks, what wasn’t to love? Guests and skits may tend to stand out, but to me, musical performances will always stick with me the most. Over the years, I’ve enjoyed countless musical guests, from a variety of genres/styles. For many of the older performances, I’d recorded them to VHS, and then additionally dubbed them over to cassette.
So here, from the Vivid Home Office (which may or may not be located in Sioux City, Iowa), is my personal Top 10 musical performances (that I have remembered) from The Late Show with David Letterman.
10) BLUES TRAVELER – “HOOK” (11/1/1994)
9) CHERRY POPPIN’ DADDIES – “ZOOT SUIT RIOT” (7/13/1998)
8) ENYA – “ONLY IF” (12/10/1997)
7) SPIN DOCTORS – “WHAT TIME IS IT?” (9/1/1993)
6) GIN BLOSSOMS – “FOLLOW YOU DOWN” (2/12/1996)
5) WHITE ZOMBIE – “MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN” (7/14/1995)
4) COUNTING CROWS – “ACCIDENTALLY IN LOVE” (8/23/2004)
3) THE AIRBORNE TOXIC EVENT – “SOMETIME AROUND MIDNIGHT” (1/18/2009)
2) MEGADETH – “A TOUT LE MONDE” (2/2/1995)
1) GORILLAZ – FEEL GOOD INC (7/10/2010)
Farewell, Dave. Thanks for the memories. (more…)